Sunday 20 July 2014

Warhammer 40k: Motivation, Apocalyptic Mega Game and (JUST AS) PLANS!

So it's another of my woefully infrequent blog posts! Yes, it's one of those magical times where I drag my bloated bulk to the computer and spew out some words to give me some sense of accomplishment. YAY! Anyway, I thought I'd do a Warhammer 40k post since I've not been playing video games much of late. I'm massively upgrading my PC in a few months so, until then, gaming has taken a backseat.

This situation is probably for the better since, as usual, I have a HUGE backlog of Warhammer models to paint. Besides a chunk of my Dark Angels, I pretty much have 3 whole armies to paint from scratch (most of my Dark Angels, Dark Eldar and Wood Elves) and I've been working to put a dent in the pile. Of course, given that I paint at a pace comparable to the wind erosion of marble, I've not done as much as I'd like. Right now I'm about 66% of the way through painting a second tactical squad for my 3rd Company Dark Angels and I'm about a third of the way through a Dreadnought and Deathwing squad as well.

With such a huge backlog, finding the motivation to paint can be difficult. I often find myself sitting down at my table, half-heartedly applying a bit of Leadbelcher to some Space Marines then abandoning the pile of models in favour of... I dunno, ripping off my own skin or watching Songs of Praise or some shit. It's become a massive problem for me so I've decided to break up my painting time into lots of little micro-sessions throughout the day. Instead of planning to do a certain amount or batch paint all the weapons on a squad, I just paint for lots of 10 minute chunks all through the day and so far I'm finding it helpful! Well, it was either that or start freebasing crack to get me through marathon painting sessions. I don't know any crack dealers soooo...

Another thing that's helping me is the notion of painting a whole army list to a set deadline. I've been planning a 4000pt Apocalypse game against my brother's Orks at Christmas and the desire to actually field a decent looking army in time has been a pretty good motivator for me. It helps that I'm using a lot of small, very expensive units in this list (Imperial Knight, anyone?) so I've got a fair chance of finishing most of it in time, just as well since my brother's Orks look fantastic and they deserve some decent looking opponents.


Meh, good enough!


I'll wrap up this post with a little discussion of my future plans for my armies. I actually feel like I'm close to done with my Dark Angels. Some more Heavy Support and a couple more tactical squads and I'll be pretty content so once I've picked up a couple of Predators, Vindicators and Aegis Defence lines, my massive Unforgiven Host will be done for the foreseeable future. I'm actually in the same position with my Wood Elves since I never planned to have a huge fantasy army; another Treeman, some Wild Riders and a unit of Wildwood Rangers should round off my army nicely.

The main thing I'll be focussing on after my Dark Angels is my Dark Eldar. What started as an impulse buy has turned into a love affair with these perverted, cruel space-elves and I can't wait to assemble a huge piratical horde of them. I really adore the way their background is written and their aesthetic is my favourite of any Warhammer 40k army. I really have no planned limit for these guys and gals so I'll just keep adding cool stuff to them as long as there's cool stuff to add! They're really going to be a passion project for me and I'll take my sweet time getting them just right.

Anyway, that's my little hobby update post over!

Thanks for reading and Stay Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment